- The mayor’s message
- Natural resources
- Cultural heritage
- Where to stay
- Going out
- Things to do
- Young people
- Somme Bay’s railroad
- Somme Bay’s house
“Cayeux-sur-mer” became a seaside resort as early as 1874. At that time, the "Admiral Courbet" boat was used to rescue shipwrecked ships. From 1901 to 1956, another boat, the «Benoit Champy " went to sea on many occasions in order to assist boats in trouble.
The Sailors’s Chapel of Le Hourdel was built in an old building which was used as a shed for the nets of the fishermen of Le Hourdel. This shed was given by Mr. Coiret-Chevalier and Father Parvilliers got it turned into a Chapel.
The inhabitants of Cayeux are very attached to their Sailors’ Chapel; indeed this chapel symbolizes the rich maritime past of the district perfectly, a district where until the end of the 1940s, the fishermen unloaded their fish directly on the shore. Dedicated to Our Lady of the sea, it was built near the pebble shore at the end of the 1850s.
The Cayeux-sur-Mer’ Church we know nowadays is quite recent: indeed, this church became a place of worship on August 3rd, 1902. This vast Church, within which nearly 500 people can take seat, has got a remarkable stained glass windows and statues and an organ dating back to 1913 in perfect working order.
This Church was probably built in the 13th century, initially near the cemetery. The Anglo-Norman architect had used “local” materials such as bricks and pebbles.
All the woodwork that adorned the old Church of “Cayeux-sur-Mer” was, as decided by the City Council of 1908, removed, restored and moved to the town hall by a craftsman of Cayeux: Mr Ternisien.